© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
Spinach and goat cheese stuffed portobello mushrooms
Makes 2 servings.
4 large portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 small shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
5 cups raw baby spinach
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 ounces goat cheese, sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, divided
8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Using damp paper towel or cloth, gently wipe any dirt from portobello caps. Use small knife to slice off each stem at base of caps and discard.
- Coat mushroom caps on each side using 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place mushrooms gill-side up on a baking sheet and roast until they start to soften, about 10 minutes. While mushrooms are roasting, make the filling.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil until it begins to shimmer. Add shallots and garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and stir.
- Add spinach and stir gently until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add pepper.
- Add cherry tomatoes and sauté for another minute. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and divide spinach mixture evenly among each portobello cap.
- Top each cap with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 ounce goat cheese. Broil mushroom caps an additional 1 to 2 minutes until cheese starts to melt.
- Serve each cap topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and basil.
This dish can easily be made vegan by omitting the Parmesan and goat cheese. You can also add a sprinkle of pine nuts or walnuts for added protein and crunch at the end. Additionally, this recipe can be made to serve 4 if eaten burger-style on crusty, whole-wheat bread or burger buns.
Serving size: 1/2 of recipe. Amount per serving: 432 calories, 31g total fat, 60mg cholesterol, 27g carbohydrates, 21g protein, 7g dietary fiber, 647mg sodium.