© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
New American beef stew
Makes 6 servings.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 large onions, chopped
4 medium carrots, cubed
2 cups diced leeks, rinsed well
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fat-free, reduced-sodium beef broth
3 tablespoons dried oregano
2 cups water
2 large potatoes, cubed
1¼ pounds frozen green beans
2 cups chopped kale
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 of beef and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring, until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pot and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.
- In the same pot, sauté onions for about 5 minutes, stirring until translucent. Remove onions from pot and set aside.
- Add carrots, leeks and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until barely tender. Return beef and onions to pot. Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, broth, oregano and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour, until beef is almost tender.
- Add potatoes and bring back to a boil. Lower heat, cover partially and simmer for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are barely tender.
- Add green beans and kale and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, until kale is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 440 calories, 10g total fat (2.5g saturated fat), 64g carbohydrates, 29g protein, 12g total fiber, 350mg sodium.