© 2019 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Beet, carrot and apple salad
Makes 4 servings.
1 medium beet (or 3/4 cup preshredded)
2 medium carrots (or 3/4 cup preshredded)
1 large, peeled Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup walnut halves, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or dill (or combination)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- To shred beet, insert each hand in plastic sandwich bag to avoid staining hands. Peel beet using swivel blade vegetable peeler.
- Using coarse side of box grater, shred beet to get 3/4 cup. Save remaining beet for another use.
- Shred carrots and apple.
- Place shredded beets, carrots and apple in mixing bowl, and mix to combine.
- Add walnuts and green herbs on top of mixed vegetables, and set bowl aside.
- For dressing, in small bowl whisk together lemon juice and salt until salt dissolves. Add 3 to 4 grinds of pepper. Whisk in oil.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until well-combined and evenly dressed.
- Serve salad within 1 hour of combining with herbs and dressing.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Amount per serving: 112 calories, 8g total fat (less than 1g saturated fat), 11g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 330mg sodium.