© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
Baked French toast fritters with apples and bananas
Makes 4 servings.
8 slices whole-wheat bread
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 apple, rinsed, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 rings
2 bananas, peeled and cut into about 12 thin slices each
3 tablespoons egg substitute (or substitute 1 egg white)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
Nonstick cooking sprayDirections
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Assemble fritter as a sandwich, with 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter on the inner side of each slice of bread and two apple slices and six banana slices in the middle of each sandwich.
- Combine ingredients for the batter, and mix well.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dip both sides of each fritter in the batter, and place fritters on preheated baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side, or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 fritter. Amount per serving: 332 calories, 10g total fat (2g saturated fat), 50g carbohydrates, 14g protein, 7g total fiber, 374mg sodium.