Brussels sprout slaw with cranberries and walnuts
Makes 8 servings.
3/4 pound Brussels sprouts
1 Fuji or Gala apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice*
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
*If Meyer lemons are not available, use 1/4 cup regular fresh lemon juice.
- Trim bottom from sprouts, and remove any loose or bruised leaves.
- Place shredding disc or fine slicing disc in food processor*, and using feeder tube, gradually shred Brussels sprouts; there will be about 4 1/2 cups. Transfer shredded sprouts to mixing bowl.
- Add apple, cranberries, walnuts, salt, pepper and lemon juice, and stir with a fork for 1 minute to combine well. Add oil and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate slaw for 3 hours to overnight.
- Re-stir before serving. This slaw is best served within 24 hours.
*If your food processor does not have a shredding disc, quarter Brussels sprouts vertically and place in food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Pulse until sprouts are finely chopped, stopping several times to scrape down bowl. Take care not to leave big chunks or to turn sprouts into mush.
Serving size: 1/8 recipe. Amount per serving: 120 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 16g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 3g fiber, 130mg sodium.