© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
Makes 4 servings.
8 ounces whole-wheat thin spaghetti
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and cubed
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, rinsed, dried, and cut into 1/8-inch wide slivers
3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese (chunk package), cubed
8 pitted black olives, cut into long slivers
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 6 minutes. (Whole-wheat pasta tends to fall apart if overcooked.)
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain spaghetti.
- Add the spaghetti back into the pasta pot. Toss with olive oil and just enough reserved water to coat well.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and olives. Toss gently until well mixed.
- Divide pasta evenly among four dinner plates (about 2 1/4 cups each). Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 1/4 cups pasta. Amount per serving: 342 calories, 10g total fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 52g carbohydrates, 13g protein, 9g dietary fiber, 233mg sodium.