© 2019 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Chayotes stuffed with cheese
Makes 6 servings.
6 small chayote (christophine) squash, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Wash chayotes and bring to a boil in 2 quarts of water. Cover and simmer over moderate heat for about 1 hour or until fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain chayotes, and remove the cores and fibrous part under cores. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp, being careful not to break the shells (leave shells about an eighth of an inch thick or slightly thicker). Place shells on a cookie sheet.
- Immediately mash pulp and mix with cheese, salt and margarine.
- Stuff shells with mixture, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving size: 2 chayote halves. Amount per serving: 129 calories; 6g total fat (2g saturated fat), 276mg sodium.