© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
Creamy cauliflower and roasted garlic soup
Makes six servings.
1 medium head garlic, unpeeled
1/2 teaspoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium leeks (about 1 1/3 cups), white part only, washed and sliced
1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 pound (about 3 1/2 cups) coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower
3 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off 1/2-inch slice from top of head of garlic. Place on sheet of foil. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon oil on top of garlic.
- Roast 45 to 55 minutes or until cloves are soft. Let cool 5 minutes. Squeeze garlic from skin directly into small bowl. Mash with fork and set aside.
- In large, nonstick saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add leeks, thyme, salt and white pepper. Cook, stirring, 6 to 8 minutes or until leeks are translucent but not browned.
- Stir in roasted garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Add cauliflower, broth and milk. Over medium-high heat, bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using blender or food processor, puree half of cauliflower and 1 cup cooking liquid until smooth. Pour into medium bowl. Repeat process with remaining cauliflower and 1 cup liquid. Stir puree back into saucepan. Reheat if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 129 calories, 3g total fat, 10g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 429mg sodium.