© 2019 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Super split pea soup
Makes 8 servings.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (vegetable stock or water may be substituted)
4 medium carrots, diced
4 medium potatoes, cubed small
1 pound dried split peas, rinsed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic, adding rosemary and oregano until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, potatoes and split peas.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for about 90 minutes or until peas are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir frequently to keep solids from burning on the bottom of pot.
- You can adjust the thickness by adding a bit of broth, stock or water.
- Serve hot.
Serving size: 1 1/4 cup. Amount per serving: 344 calories, 6g total fat (1g saturated fat), 56g carbohydrates, 21g protein, 17g dietary fiber, 106mg sodium.