© 2019 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Makes 6 servings.
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
15 fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
1 medium cucumber, seeded (or English cucumber), sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons green olives, pitted and chopped (capers may be substituted)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1/2 large red onion, cut in half and then 1/4 inch slices
1/2 small loaf crusty, whole-grain French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices, halved
- In mixing bowl whisk garlic, mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In large bowl, gently combine basil, cucumber, tomatoes and olives.
- Brush bell peppers and onion slices on one side with oil mixture. Place oil side down on hot grill, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Brush other side with oil mixture, turn over and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill. On cutting board, slice peppers into 1/2-inch slices and separate onion rings. Add to vegetables. Add oil mixture, and toss to coat.
- Toast both sides of bread until nicely browned.
- On a serving platter, layer bread and top with vegetables and basil mixture or toss bread with vegetables if desired. Serve.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 193 calories, 11g total fat (2g saturated fat), 22g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 187mg sodium.