Gluten-free veggie-lover rice-crust pizza
Makes 4 servings.
1 cup arborio rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 ounce) plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim-milk mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat a 12-inch round pizza pan or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, combine rice, water and salt.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until rice is soft, 18 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine hot rice with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and egg. Use fork to mix until well combined.
- Mound rice mixture in center of prepared pan.
- With back of fork, spread rice out to cover pan, and then make edge neat.
- Bake crust until surface feels dry and firm, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and black pepper, and cook until all moisture has evaporated from mushrooms and they are browned, about 12 minutes, stirring more frequently toward the end.
- Add salt to taste.
- Spread mushroom mixture over rice crust.
- Spoon tomato sauce over vegetables.
- Sprinkle on basil and oregano, then mozzarella and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake pizza in oven until cheese is melted and starts to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut pizza into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 wedge. Amount per serving: 290 calories, 12g total fat (6g saturated fat), 29g carbohydrates, 14g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 430mg sodium.