© 2020 Baptist Health. All Rights Reserved.
Health libraryBack to health library
Makes 10 servings.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk, 1% fat
1 large egg
1/4 cup soft tub margarine
1 teaspoon vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine, and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an 8-by-8-inch greased baking dish. Cool.
- Cut into 10 squares and serve.
Serving size: 1 square. Amount per serving: 178 calories, 6g total fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 27g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 1g dietary fiber, 94mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health